Quipper's DevOps is organized with the mission of creating a self-contained development team that collaborates with the development team to ensure stability, reliability, and quality development experience for the learning services (Quipper Video, Quipper School) using Quipper products, which are expanding further in Indonesia, and the Philippines. The work involves not only building, monitoring, and responding to infrastructure failures, but also, and especially, leveraging public cloud and SaaS, automation, and OSS, so that these systems can function automatically in the current organization.
- Leveraging Public Cloud and SaaS
- Quipper's services are currently built on AWS and GCP.
- For the non-core parts of the service, we are proactively using SaaS.
- Datadog for monitoring, Sendgrid for email, Sentry for error management, etc.
- Infrastructure as Code
- Infrastructure is coded and automated using tools such as Terraform and Ansible whenever possible.
- Leveraging OSS
- Kubernetes, Envoy, Argo CD, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Go, gRPC, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, fluentd, etc. Quipper's services are supported by many OSS
- It is recommended to not only use OSS but also to be actively involved in reporting issues and creating Pull Requests as needed.
- Writing the code
- If it makes more sense to use an existing solution without writing code, we will do so, or if it makes more sense to create our own, we will do so
Specifically, you will work with team members and the development team to create, implement, and deploy concrete ideas for the following issues.
- Create a program to learn the philosophy and skills of Site Reliability Engineering with the development team to explore better ways of product development.
- A system to optimize the CI/CD pipeline and improve the development experience through GitOps tools, etc.
- A mechanism for self-service of cloud resources such as AWS
- Planning and application of autoscaling for flexible scaling according to service growth and seasonality
- Simplification and automation of scaling through Cluster/Pod autoscaling
- Observability infrastructure using Envoy, OpenTelemetry, etc.
- Easy to use mechanism to promote stability of Microservices such as Circuit Breaker and Rate Limiting by using Istio/Envoy etc.
- Gradual migration of job execution platforms such as Jenkins to a Cloud-Native form that matches the current form of the organization.
- A system to efficiently develop applications on Kubernetes using Telepresence, etc.
- A system to easily collect common metrics for each language and framework using Prometheus Exporter, etc.
- Preparation of log formats and libraries for searching logs across multiple applications.
- Optimization of resources and costs through the use of Savings Plans, Spotinst, etc.
Technology and tools
- Database: MongoDB, Amazon Aurora (PostgreSQL/MySQL), BigQuery, Treasure Data
- Infrastructure: AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, CircleCI, GitHub Actions
- Monitoring: Datadog, NewRelic, Pingdom, Sentry, Google Cloud Logging
- Communication: GitHub, Slack
The DevOps Engineer will be responsible for understanding Quipper's server configuration, architecture, development team's issues, and issues to be solved as a product. We expect you to be able to proactively make proposals and engage in dialogues to solve problems, from implementation to the creation of a mechanism to advocating the solutions.
After that, depending on your orientation and performance, you may be able to train and educate other members or be an engineering manager.
- Experience in operating an automation system on a public cloud such as AWS through Infrastructure as Code tools
- Experience in operating web applications
- Experience in writing programming languages other than shell scripts (Go, Ruby, Python, etc.)
- Experience using Docker and other container-related technologies.
- Sympathy for the mission of realizing "Distributors of Wisdom" and "Revolution in the Distribution of Knowledge", and sympathy for the engineering style.
- Able to communicate interactively with all parties involved in product development and other tasks that are not confined to DevOps to make things better
Nice to have:
- You've worked on a DevOps team and developed products from both a Dev/Ops perspective.
- Have established SLI/SLO and created a culture to review them.
- Experience in improving the developer experience by building CI/CD pipelines and development environments.
- Experience in thinking, implementing, and evolving architecture from both organizational and technical perspectives
- Expertise in stable operation and management of distributed systems such as Microservices.
- Experience in building infrastructures to ensure Observability such as Logging, Tracing, Metrics, etc.
- Experience in designing Cloud Native applications for your company
- Able to select the appropriate database among multiple databases such as RDBMS/KVS/Column-oriented DB according to the required requirements and characteristics
- Experience in building analytics system
- Programming experience in Ruby or Go
- Have or want to improve communication skills in English
Why apply to us?
- We believe in creating a highly innovative, exciting and collaborative working environment that continuously fuels our double digit growth YOY
- You will collaborate with a diverse group of talent who have a broad range of experience leading in technology and e-commerce (e.g. International top MBA grads, ex-Bigtech. ex-FMCG, ex-Consulting firm)
- Our team is highly passionate about our mission to “Bring the Best Education to Every Corner of the World” and hope that you could bring your unique skills and talent to make this happen in the Philippines!
Benefits and Perks:
- [Permanent] Work from home / remote work
- Competitive salary
- Career mobility: the opportunity to define your career path across functions or grow in your current position
- International working environment (multi-cultural collaboration with Indonesia and Japan offices)
- HMO upon regularization with additional 1 dependent (fully covered by the Company)
- Monthly performance bonus
- 10 VL and 10 SL (unused SL is convertible to cash annually)
- Company-issued item (laptop)
- Government-mandated benefits
- "No Friday meetings"